Tuesday, June 2, 2009

how can i lower interest rates on my credit card?

"There is no current problems with your credit card, but your offer to lower your interest rates expires in the next couple days. Please stay on the line to speak with a representative."

This was the message, accompanied by the pre-recorded voice, that greeted me on the other end of the phone line this afternoon. Not even a hello. How rude.

Now, there's a reason why people get these spam phone calls, and it's not because everyone is an impotent, anxious, depressive, small-minded person just waiting for a "good deal." It's simply because people actually fall for this sleight of hand. For those of us that see the hook poking out from the worm and keep on swimming, pat yourself on the back.

This hasn't been the first time that I've gotten a phone call like this one. I've had a multitude of offers from this same company, to lower the interest rate on the credit card that I don't own. I've stayed on the line many times before in order to have my number removed from their calling list, and to no avail.

The conversation goes as follows:

Soliciting theiving asshole: "Hello, and how can I help you lower your interest rates today?"
Me: "Yes, hello. I would like to speak to someone about removing my number from your calling list."
*line goes dead*

I'd think that it was just all an inoccent mistake, if it hadn't of happened to me before. I would say, give or take, about 5 times, I've gotten through to someone, and as soon as I mention my number being removed from their calling list, they hang up. Not to mention, I haven't heard once from any one of the operators the actual name of the company. Their number is unavaliable, leaving no way to call back and contact them. Utter bullshit.

6 comments:

Mia Dickinson said...

No but it sounds like a boiler room operation somewhere. Dont give them your number Cassandra!
P.S. Loving the red hair, makes me want to go back to being electric red
Mia x

Cass said...

Oh, I definitely would not give them my number. Not ever! That's what's so sad about it, though. The fact that some people would. Swindlers.

& thank you, Mia. I was also once an electric red head myself. It is fun, isn't it? :)

Anonymous said...

oh this is a wodnerful post because this happened to me yesterday. THEY HUNG UP ON ME and like you i was like uh....maybe it was an accident, lol nope, happened 3 times. I have a credit score of 720, thats bullshit :P Fantastic blog you have here.

Cass said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I just wonder what website/something or other I've signed up for that provided this company with my number?

Thank you :)

Daniela Piteo said...

I feel sorry for the people that fall prey to these solicitous calls. They are usually (not always) seniors that are in fact looking for a good deal because they live on a fixed income. A friend of mine worked as a telemarketer to help pay her tuition and she saw exactly how these slimeball businesses operate. When the government tried to step in with the "Do not call" list I thought, "finally, this bullshit will end." But of course, loopholes keep it going. I just think the government should step in and make it illegal, it really is unethical.
Since I am ranting-I also think the government should step in and tell banks to get their bloody hands off our money. Why do I have to pay my bank to withdrawal MY money? Greedy, filthy jerks.
Sorry.....

Cass said...

I actually wanted to add in something about seniors, but I didn't end up doing so. You'r absolutely right about that, Daniela. My mom has had to tell my grandparents many times that these calls are not legit. My grandparents worry, so these calls create unecessary stress.

That "do not call list" was obviously, as you've said, total bullshit. I still get calls. Now seemingly legit companies are calling my house all the time trying to sell bundles like telephone/internet/cable blah blah. If I wanted it, I'd call you.

No need to be sorry for rambling. I don't understand why I need to pay a service fee to withdraw money, either. These are things we will never know but will always be a constant irritant.