Thursday, June 4, 2009

the last sheep has been thrown


Today was such a nice day. I had a delicious breakfast and found some pretty flowers in my backyard. This whimsy and nostalgia was enough to make me 100 per cent sure on my decision to get rid of my Facebook for good. I'd been thinking on it for a while, but this dose of "life" sealed the deal. At least blogging has its uses for sharing art and writing.

I've always just hated Facebook. I re-joined some time after the beginning of the school year because I needed something to do while I was sitting in class. But, it proved to be a huge anticlimactic let down. I get more fed up with every annoying thing about it and I'm reaching critical mass.

My grievances are as follows: people who have nothing better to do with themselves aside from stage photoshoots to feed their narcissistic egos. Meaningless correspondences. False sentiments. An excuse to be a lazy friend. And there are those godforsaken applications always being delivered to me. As I log in right now, I have one hundred and six requests to add applications ranging from 'Pirates', to 'Fairy Garden', to 'Who is Your Twilight Guy.' They are just sitting there, waiting for me to decline or accept. That's a whole lot of pointless clicking for something that isn't even bluffing me with an Olive Garden gift card.

It seems that I'm always getting emails telling me that someone I know on Facebook threw a sheep at me, headbutted me, high-fived me, licked me, punched me, or even threw Barack Obama at me (?!). This being Facebook, of course, I'll be expected to reciprocate -- which will require me to add an application. This all serves to make me feel horribly neglectful. I won't ignore a friend ... unless that friend makes me go through a bunch of pointless rigamarole just to say hi. Then, I simply refuse.

Also, there's a hint of illegality that wafts around Facebook perennially. The fact that the site has changed its Terms of Service to state that the pictures and information on even deleted accounts can be used by the site forever and however it chooses without even providing users forewarning, bothers me. I would have gotten out before this change was enacted, had I known. From what I'm reading around the web, others would have as well.

The point is, I really detest Facebook. But, we're all mired to the fetid heap of it by the handful of people who we have no other means of communicating with. Nothing personal, but I'm getting out. I'll be deleting my account by the end of the week.

4 comments:

JungleForce said...

Yes,I love that like I've-Been-On-The-Internet-Waaay-Too-Much-Time-To-Go-outside feeling cos you always feel great afterwards!

Anonymous said...

I just block applications when I get invites for them. I've thought of getting off of FB for a while now, but I've reconnected w/ so many people thru it and it's the only means of contact I have for so many others, I'm never able to bring myself to do it. I'm still hoping I can someday.

Cass said...

Haha, I try not to over use the internet. I really do. It's easy to get caught up. That's not why I'm deleting Facebook, though. I don't think that Facebook is bad, I think the way people use it, is.

Cass said...

Do you think it's really all that important to reconnect with people who you haven't seen and probably wouldn't have seen for the rest of your life? That's how I look at it, anyways. I figure that if I haven't talked to someone in 10 years, I doubt that anything is going to come of it after reconnecting on Facebook. I've added friends from elementary school, etc., but it's just hi hi how are you. I definitely can see what you mean, though.

As for the applications, yeah, I probably should have blocked those. But, officially I no longer belong to the Facebook community. Yay!