Sunday, June 14, 2009

said the graduate


As of this past Thursday, I am officially a graduate. I ended up going to my convocation on the request of my mother, otherwise I would have told them to send me my diploma in the mail.

Why am I, or so it seems, completely bitter about graduation, when it should in fact be a joyous occasion? Because. I've actually had "life" experiences beyond the education system. I'm one of those who went back to school after doing other things. I will, of course, look back fondly on my school memories and the people I met there, but I will always keep in mind that school is just that. A place to learn. Regardless of what they tell you in terms of College being the hands on experience vs. University which is theoretical and intangible, it's what you make of it. And, having to sit through pseudo-motivational speeches, and Vitamin C's graduation song being played, the event really wasn't inspiring or enjoyable whatsoever. Tell me some true to life shit. Share with me some real wisdom. Throw me a job. That, would be helpful.

Of course it's a milestone to graduate College, and I am obviously proud of myself. Two years, high honours, 3.9 GPA. Hell yes! But, my grade means nothing unless I do something with it. Until I make something of my name, it will remain stagnant on my diploma along with some arbitrary number that's supposed to prove I'm an intelligent person.

On a completely off topic, my picture above, was a delightful find off Etsy this past week. An antique porcelain egg by Paris Royal. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to have it. I have quite the collection and fondness for nick-knacks. I'm going to be one of those little old ladies with shelves upon shelves of arbitrary little figurines. One can never have enough of such things.

No comments: